Montefalco Wine Tour
The Sagrantino di Montefalco
A lovely Umbrian hilltop town overlooking the Topino and Clitunno valleys, Montefalco provides stunning all-round views of the surrounding landscape. Here vine-growing dates back to Roman times (Pliny makes reference to a fine wine produced from the "Hirtiola" vine) and today Montefalco is known world-wide for its celebrated red wine, the "Sagrantino di Montefalco".
Like the Brunello di Montalcino, the Sagrantino is a unique wine, which is grown and produced only in this corner of Umbria. Its origins go back to when the first Franciscan friars brought back some vine shoots from the Middle East to replace the existing Sangiovese vines.
The Scacciadiavoli winery has always been producing wines having great texture and appeal. Surrounded by green rolling hills, this winery was established in 1884 at the request of Roman prince Ugo Boncompagni-Ludovisi and since 1954 it is owned by the Pambuffetti family. This winery derives its name from a local exorcist who used to make use of wine for his rituals. The estate has 35 hectares of vineyards on clay loam, which is very suitable for vine growing, especially for late harvested grape varieties like Sagrantino.
- Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG 100% Sagrantino. Aged in barriques (50%) and in oak barrels (50%) for 24 months, followed by a further 12 months in bottle.
- Montefalco Rosso DOC 60% Sangiovese, 15% Sagrantino, 25% Merlot. Aged in barriques and in truncated cone wooden vats for 12 months, followed by a further 6 months in bottle.
- Montefalco Sagrantino Passito DOCG 100% Sagrantino. Vinified in steel, aged in barriques for 24 months, followed by a further 12 months in bottle.
- Montefalco Bianco DOC 50% Grechetto, 25% Trebbiano, 25% Chardonnay. Aged in barriques for 9 months, followed by a further 9 months in bottle.
- Umbria Grechetto IGT 100% Grechetto. Aged in steel tanks, followed by a further 3 months in bottle.
- Rosso dell’Umbria IGT Sangiovese and Merlot. Aged in steel for 6-8 months, followed by a further 6 months in bottle.
- Spumante Brut 85% Sagrantino, 15% Chardonnay. Vinified in steel tanks at controlled temperature and aged in bottles for 36 months.
- Spumante Brut Rosé 100% Sagrantino. Vinified in steel tanks at controlled temperature and aged in bottles for 24 months.
lass="right" src="/static/img/tours/wine_tour_montefalco/03.jpg" alt="Wine Tour in Montefalco | A visit to the wineries producing Sagrantino di Montefalco wines under the guide of expert sommeliers" />